what makes us different
- Our hay is cut as early in the season as possible, at or before flowering. Harvesting early ensures the highest possible quality. Stems are thinner and less lignified, making a hay your animals want to eat! And it's good for them - earlier cutting captures higher protein and carbohydrate levels.
- Our bales are out of the field and under cover THE SAME DAY they are baled! While this creates long days for us, we clearly see the benefit in hay quality. We have seen bales become damp to the touch, smell musty, and eventually mold when they are left out for only a day or two. So we have moved to a same day policy... our hay is in a barn or fully tarped without ever spending a night in the field as a bale.
- Our bales are manageable and consistent. Our bales average 50 pounds - your back will thank you when feeding this hay! We produce 36" long, 18" wide bales... this 2x1 configuration means they stack very nicely. We have quality equipment that we meticulously maintain to ensure a consistent product.
- We mechanically load trailers. Our grapple system allows you to sit back and relax while the machine does the work of loading your hay.
- Our grass does not receive herbicide sprays, and we are continually working to improve our soil health and grass sustainability. Our grass stands are so competitive that we maintain minimal to no weeds without herbicide applications. We trial new soil amendments and fertilizers, and we have a comprehensive farm plan for rehabilitating new ground and transitioning to nutritious grass mix stands. We are focused on the long term performance of our crop while providing ecosystem services to the local wildlife.